20030826

Just a last post to point out that I thought I had exhausted the lolly stick jokes, since the last couple of lollies in the packet all had the same jokes on them. But, joy of joys, although the first joke in the new pack was another repeat, there was an original joke on the second stick. I ran some statistics on this data (a combination of the coupon collector problem and the birthday paradox, stats trivia fans), and my conclusion is that there are one or two more jokes that I haven't seen yet, but that it may take another half dozen or so packets before I can expect to have seen them all. Sigh. Well, they had better be worth the wait, since this new one was rubbish. It went:

Why did the bird go to the theatre?
So it could wait in the wings.

Now, think about this. Why do people normally go to the theatre? Well, to see a play or something, I expect. You can't actually go and wait in the wings. They chuck you out, even if you have a ticket. And I know the pun is supposed to be something to do with the fact that birds have wings, but it still doesn't work in any remotely sensible way: it's like saying "Why did the man enter the two part running race? So he could take part in both legs" Because a man has two legs, and so does the race. Ha ha. Get it? It's completely meaningless. What is the damn point of writing idiot jokes like this if, after you've sucked it off and got sticky juices running down your chin then, all you get is a strange sense of disappointment and revulsion. Which gives me an idea for a joke:

Why is collecting lolly stick jokes like being a male prostitute?

I'll let you fill in the punchline yourself, but meantime, why not rush out and buy Lolly Woe by Anna Perera, quite possibly the only novel which features lolly sticks in a starring role. It gets 4 stars on amazon, so it must be good.

No comments: