20040209

Warning: contents of this post should be of interest to approximately one other person on the planet.

I was re-viewing the classic Dr Who episode, Remembrance of the Daleks (which I found reassuring, since there were several carefully crafted references that I simply didn't get), and one thing stuck out at me. One of the minor characters spends the whole wearing a scarf that looks oddly familiar. Here's a picture:



Some careful researching (OK, very little, thanks to the efforts of Robin Walker [yes -- he of UK cable modem guide fame), it is easily identified on this chart as the official scarf of Girton College, Cambridge. Which I think makes some sense, since the story was set in 1963, when Girton was one of the few female Cambridge Colleges.

This is of absolutely no bearing on anything whatsoever.

Except, perhaps, to point out that Dr. Who appears to exhibit a strong Cambridge bias, especially because of the Douglas Adams connections. Anyone care to disagree? Thought not.

Talking of which, I recently received a package through the post, which included the instructions "Pull tab to open". And I thought to myself, "blimey, that was difficult enough when I was there...".

No comments: