20050507

It came from Planet Clare

Finally got around to seeing the HHGTG movie through the strangely antiquated medium of going to a film projection centre, or "cinema" as they are known. Decent enough interpretation, but I was mostly taken with the following observation which I can add to my very occasional series of "oxbridge scarves in the popular media" (see also Daleks and Quinlank.



See this (rather large) image here: Zaphod Beeblebrox can be clearly seen here (and throughout the rest of the movie) wearing a Clare College Scarf.

Which is interesting. You might imagine this to be a gentle nod towards DNA, since Adams went to Cambridge. But as you will remember from DGHDA, he went to St John's, on which St. Cedd's is clearly based.

So why Clare? I have an idea, although it seems altogether too far-fetched to be true. I will check it out.

No comments: