20050218

The queries pour in

In addition to receiving mysterious messages via bizarre search queries, other people have started to more directly harass me by emailing mysterious questions directly to me. Perhaps this is normal, but I was rather confused by this message. Mostly because I still can't find any reference to $25 million dollars US, which I have come to expect in my unsolicited email.


Firstly I would like to intorduce myself. I am a fourth year student in
Electrical and Electronics. I am currently carrying out a research on
raw data classification.

I was just wondering if you have any knowledge regarding entropy (in
the context of computer data). Furthermore I would like to find out
about the following:

If I have a stream of bytes and I want the following statistical
measures: variance, mean, entropy, auto-correlation, fourier transform,
skewness and bicoherence. In other words can I just treat the stream of
bytes like a discrete time signal and carryout the above manipulations
on it. Or are there any specialized softwares for this purpose? What
would you suggest as the best method of going about this?


My immediate reaction is to tell the question to get lost and read a textbook instead of bothering me, but I can't help wondering if there is some kind of hidden message or similar in this. Any one?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't see any hidden message. Does remind me of something I read about entropy in computer programs here a couple of days ago.

Anonymous said...

I like the way that 'here' link does actually link *here*. In Mozilla, at any rate.

Anonymous said...

I think here is supposed to be there... HTTP://WWW.CSCS.UMICH.EDU/~CRSHALIZI/SELF-ORGANIZATION/SOUP-DONE/

Anonymous said...

Or http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/Self-organization/soup-done/ .....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.