20040908

A very 'hitchhikers' day

I set off to go to work today about 10 -- but it was raining so hard that even if I took public transport instead of biking, I would have been drenched. So I cancelled, and worked from home for a while. Then, after about an hour, the rain seemed to have stopped, so I went out, got on my bike -- and it started raining hard again. So I stopped, put up my umbrella, and wheeled the bike back to my door. The rain seemed to have stopped again, so I thought, oh well, maybe I can go on my bike anyway. At which point it started raining again.

In other words, every time I thought I would go to work, it started raining really hard, but as soon as I gave up on the idea, it stopped. Perhaps it is trying to tell me something. Well, screw it, I think I'll give public transport another try.

[Edit: blogger wouldn't pubish this for some reason, so I'm trying again. Just to add that although I tried again, it started chucking it down once more, so I worked from home the whole day again.]

In (un)related news, the SODA results are out, and I got one long in and one short rejected. Not bad, given that the acceptance rate is 1 in 3.5. No news yet on how the people who submitted 5, 10 or 20 papers fared, though. ICDE due after the weekend. If this means nothing to, keep thinking about the clever trick using seal blubber

No comments: