20040903

Nothing will hold us back

I'm listening to GWB spout his trite drivel. It's thoroughly nauseating. I object to being lied to consistently. But that is what's happening. Half the platform appears to be that GWB was in office on September 11 2001, and that this was something that no one else could have done.

But honestly, what can you expect from a party that styles itself "The GOP" -- that's "the Grand Old Party". It's hard to imagine Labour or the Tories applyingsuch a self-aggrandising nickname on itself. I keep searching for an equivalently smug and obnoxious sobriquet for a UK party, and I keep coming up short.

It's completely inexplicable how he's riding so high in the polls, but then it was completely inexplicable that he got any votes to begin with. There are times when I dislike Tony Blair, but this is as nothing compared to the disdain in which I hold GWB. Perhaps if I had been more aware of her effect I could have felt the same about Thatcher, but as it is, GWB is the only premiere that I have actively hated.

I wonder if I am the only person who, when the convention breaks out into their chants of "Four more years! Four more years!" I am reminded of the Neuremberg rallies. Maybe that happens with every convention like this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's completely inexplicable how he's riding so high in the polls" .... not so; have a look at this pretty credible explanation .

-Ivy League

Anonymous said...

The Conservative Party did consider themselves the 'natural party of government' for many years, but this was never their official tagline or anything. And it was before they, er.., stopped being.

Of course, the name Tory itself comes (thank you, Wikipedia) "from the Irish term tóraidhe — outlaw, robber". Perhaps they should rename themselves the Gangstas? The So Solid Tories? I dunno.

Iain Funken Smith