20040113

Massive outpourings of shouting (shout outs? shouts out? I'll have to ask one of the passers-by what the correct one should be) to TK for playing a pretty much note-perfect Top Banana yesterday -- every song in its right place. Oh, and head over to RaW to download and treasure the radio 1 broadcast for ever. A little piece of Chris Carter can live on your hard drive for eternity.

I got the train from Leicester to Coventry on Sunday afternoon. What I'd forgotten to account for is that Sunday is the day of the week when the trains get off the tracks and go on the roads instead, just for a bit of a change. This is always a bit of fun, since without the tracks to guide them, the drivers inevitably get a bit lost and you end up taking a tour of suburbia and places where a bus just isn't supposed to go. I could tell things weren't going so well when, after having been going for more than half an hour, we passed a signpost reading "Leicester: 5 miles". It's also a bit weird when you see that there's only five passengers (normally they'd be scattered through the carriages so you might think that there are more somewhere else). Still, it's something to do, isn't it? Isn't it?

The other highlight of travelling on a Sunday is that the train/buses are only every couple of hours, so I arrived at the station with an hour to kill. This allowed me to take a quick stroll through the centre of town, and wonder why they needed quite so many policeman (about thirty) standing around outside one pub near the station. I don't know about you -- in fact, who are you? Go away! -- but the presence of large numbers of uninformed police officers always makes me extremely nervous. But nothing happened. I also managed to pick up a copy of Tony's Dodgy Dossier for the bargain price of 99p from The Works. There's a stack of about a dozen of them left if you particularly want any and can easily get to central Leicester.

Lastly, good news: my visa has arrived, and I've booked a flight back to the good old USA of America for next week. Because I'm currently in Coventry, the flight is from Gatwick and my passport, keys and dollar currency are in Maidstone, I'll be passing through the London at least twice in the next week, and will probably be hovering around in a holding pattern for a bit over the weekend. So again, as a special offer to blog readers, you can contact me and arrange a meeting, signing and book reading by contacting me at the triv.org.uk address (prepend graham and one of those a's with a circle around it to get an email address, if you really must.)

No comments: