20030506

"Dude, you're getting Adele!"
"All in all, you're just another prick in the mall"

Um, yeah. So, as far as I can work out from the below ad-profile, I am supposed to be constantly thinking about buying a new car/SUV/truck (actually, I don't drive), and driving it to the movies or to the drive-thru branch of a fast food restaurant (can't stand fast food, and don't eat burgers on principle). So much for targeted advertising. I suppose it's my fault for watching Buffy & Angel, targeted at teens, and Comedy Central, targeted at... I dunno, really. People with a sense of humour? If I watch TV on weekend mornings (esp the cartoons) then I would get a load more toy & game ads. Likewise, I'm sure I normally see many more ads for mobile 'phones: perhaps they are just proportionately more annoying than other ads, so I don't see them.

What I'd really like to see advertised is an ad-blocker. Something that just switches the sound & visuals off while the ads are on, so I can read my book for a few minutes. Or, even better, seamlessly edits them out. If I can stop getting annoying pop-up ads on the web by using a different browser, why can't I rid myself of them on TV too? Obligatory blog link to adbusters

Some quick google observations on adverts: if you did a google search for motwani then you used to get a googlead to go and work for google (rajeev motwani was the advisor at stanford of larry page & sergei brin, and provided VC for google) -- but this seems to have stopped working since I last tried it. he is still the top hit for that search though.

Secondly, try a google search for sex: looks like no one has bought the keyword "sex" -- or perhaps google don't sell it? Now try some dirtier words: search for "oral", "oral sex", "anal" and "anal retentive". You'll notice that the searches that are potentially innocuous: "oral" and "anal retentive" don't have any ads, but the others do: looks like the advertising engine is getting smarter. I might investigate further if I get bored. Like tomorrow.

No comments: