20070121

Desperately Seeking Cilantro

Occasionally I like to cook a Mexican. Of course, I don't mean cooking a person who comes from Mexico. That would be ridiculous. No, when I say Mexican, I refer to a dish inspired by the cuisine of Mexico. It's quite a common linguistic usage, so I'm rather surprised that you seem to be unaware of it. Perhaps a little disappointed at your unworldliness as well.

A vital ingredient in the Mexican kitchen is cilantro, the leaves of the coriander plant. For a while, I was using a small container of frozen chopped cilantro. This proved to be very convenient for someone such as myself who only rarely requires a dash of the herb. However, I recently exhausted by supply, and in casting around for a replacement, was unable to find any in my local supermarkets. I wonder where I should look for some more. Perhaps I purchased in a local ACME store (they really do exist outside of cartoons), which has since closed. Buying it fresh seems too much hassle.

Also: in entirely unrelated news, the movie world has been abuzz this week with the news that Aishwarya Rai (one of the stars of Dhoom2, which I still haven't seen...) has announced her engagement to Abhishek Bachchan, her co-star in D:2 and the newly released 'Guru'.

No comments: