20040314

Do you know the way to San Hose?

To California and back in a stupidly short time with not much to show for it apart from a sore throat and some business cards. Either I'm getting better at it, or they are giving up, but not much evidence of people trying to kill me this time round. Sure, United airlines made another attempt to ruin my life and trap me in Chicago O'Hareport for ever. Despite getting me there too late to catch the connecting flight I was supposed to get on, I only reached my destination two hours late. So instead, a quick rumination on evolution.

It occurs ot me that evolution exists, as can be seen in American bathrooms. They have baths, with a shower over them and a shower curtain. But if you actually try taking a bath, then you'll see that there's a problem. The bath is actually too short for most people. The overflow is very low, so you can only fill it a few inches. In certain cases there's no plug or stopper or other way of stopping the water from staying in the bath. In other words, it's impossible to take a bath in the bath; it's only really good for taking showers in.

Why? Because people in America don't have baths, it would seem. They are too busy, they can only barely afford the time for a shower. And so, the bath/shower is evolving. Eventually, the bath tub will shrink further, and there will really only be a shower stall. But it can't happen straight away, and so instead there is a vestigal bath tub. And that's evolution in practice.

No comments: