20040320

Belle End?

There's an awful lot of dull speculation out their on the real identity of Belle De Jour, which is only worth remarking on because of the crap pun potential: read about how the times has fingered Sarah Champion as the author.

It does need to be commented that 'Don Foster, America’s foremost literary sleuth, identified quirks in Belle’s text, such as the way she uses brackets, dashes, compound verbs and italics. He entered this information into Google, the internet search engine, and within 20 minutes found that Miss Champion was the only person who matched' is a load of rubbish. I know that google is suposed to be quite good, but last time I looked, typing random pieces of punctuation into google does not get very good responses. Well, I can say what I like about google now, so I have no compunction about stating definitively: Google is rubbish when it comes for searching for punctuation.

But, just to be clear about this: I am not belle de jour. I think. I don't remember.
[Edit: But of course, I am a fictional character]
[Edit: And a complete whore]

No comments: