20050625

Phising for compliments

A large fraction of my incoming spam is phishing attempts. Which is handy, since it makes it much easier to filter: I just have to filter for simple keywords like "ebay", "paypal", "account", "unauthorised" and so on in the subject, and drop it into my spam file. Whenever I remember, I go through it and see if anything has fallen in there by mistake (usually not). This seems to have taken a lot of spam out of my inbox. One day I should get around to using some proper spam filtering software, but since I read my email through pine on a unix box and do most of my filtering using procmail, this might be more difficult. Or at least too much effort for me to bother trying. Incidentally, this is pretty much the same way in which I read email in 1995, which shows how much I am moving with the times...

No comments: