20031220

An inspiring story for the holiday season

I had a dream last night. Much like Martin Luther King, it involved some pretty fanciful things. So I thought I would share the details with you to see if it makes any sense to you.

It began in some sort of fairy tale land. I went past the candy cottage of hansel and grettel, and humpty dumpty falling off a wall, and ended up at a house with a low door. Stooping to enter, I recognised that it was the home of the seven dwarves from Snow White. In the corner sat Doc, who for some reason was not pleased to see me.

"What do you want here?" he shouted. I explained that I was just visiting for a while, and that I wouldn't stay long. He grudgingly accepted this, and I sat down in a chair that was too small for me. Then the other dwarves began to come in. Although they looked familiar, there was something amiss with them that I couldn't quite place. So I asked Doc what was going on.

First, there was a dwarf who seemed really pleased to be there. He came up and said hi to me, and bounced around and told jokes -- but the whole time there was a scowl on his face, like he was really upset about something. Who's that? I asked Doc -- Is he one of the seven dwarves? "You dweeb!" shouted Doc, "That's the Happy that never smiles!"

Then there came a dwarf who kept inhaling, and going a--a--a--a... aaahh. His face was read, and he kept leaning back with a hankerchief, ready to blow... but nothing came. Once again, I asked Doc what was going on, what was wrong with that one? "You berk!" he cried, "That's the Sneezy that never sneezes!".

Finally, in lurched another dwarf, who looked absolutely exhausted. I expected him to drop any moment, but instead he kept walking round and round the room, slowly taking step after step and never coming to a halt. But he kept yawning and sighing, as if he had been awake for days. Once more I turned to Doc. "What's up with his? Why doesn't he go to bed, or at least sit down for a bit?". Doc turned to me with a look of complete disgust at my stupidity. "You nork! It's the Sleepy that never sits!".

No comments: