20031219

Evening all.

I'm writing this from in bed. (oops, almost typed "from in bex". that would have been misconstruable). I'm able to do this because I have got my wireless setup up and running. Thrilling, I know. Anyway, it would be really great, except that my laptop is still a bit old and knackered, so I still have to prop the thing up against a wall to stop the lid from falling over, but apart from that, it's pretty good.

Anyway, it's almost the end of the year. More importantly, I'm soon to head off back to the UK, and hence I won't be able to connect to this website to post updates (since it is based in the US). So expect long periods of silence. No one has yet come up with a good suggestion for how I should spend my new year, so I will do my best to make my own entertainment.

More search queries coming here looking for milkshake. I hope you are satisfied with the explanation that you find here. Ah. This reminds me of a little game that I like to play called,

Get your .dics out

Regular readers will know that I am very fond of what might be called "found" art. Although, that's probably the wrong phrase. What I mean is, text that is formed by some random process that forms interesting patterns. Such as the text that people use in search queries to get here. Or the passwords generated by AOL in their incessant mailings. (their recent adverts, while mildly amusing, makes no sense whatsoever).

Anyway, Get your .dics out is a game that anyone can play, if you regularly use a computer with microsoft products on it, and you are so anally retentive that you cannot stand to see those little wavy red lines under every word that you type. All you have to do is search your computer for a file called "CUSTOM.DIC", and then post it for the world to see. Here's mine:


Aah
Ah
Arsenio
Astra
abuzz
acned
aftershave
alka
amortized
arse
Bunnymen
beefeater
blu
bonce
budgetmeister
Che
Che's
Ché
Croft
clerihew
Davro
Doyle
datagrams
defloration
dodgy
Eh
Emma's
Entertainments
Er
Erm
eh
ents
er
extraordinaire
Frosties
faffing
freshers
Gwillym
gatecrash
git
goth
goths
Hamiltonian
Hmm
Huffman
Hustings
helpline
heterological
hipper
hm
homological
housemates
hust
hustings
I'd've
i
imbalanced
internet
jerry
Lancashire
Lara
Lunn
lesbigay
lesbo
Mandela's
Manson
Markovian
Matt's
Montford
minuting
munchkins
mundanity
Nich
nerdy
noticeboards
novelisation
Oi
Ooo
Ow
ooo
ou
Pookie
Presidente
paperclip
paperclips
percolations
pickiness
pics
polos
postgrad
pts
Quoracy
Rom-Com
rebalancing
rebranded
recurse
Sabb
Ssh
Stott
sabbs
satisfiable
sci-fi
shithole
slanging
snogging
spliffs
subtree
subtrees
Thompson's
takings
televisual
trannie
uh
uni
unmistakeably
unsatisfiable
unsatisfyingly
Vince
volte
Wha
Why'd'ja
Willesden
wankers
whiteboard
whodunnit
wlog
worryingly
yer
zeroth


It's up to you to work out how this file comes about, but just appreciate this list for its entertaining juxtapositions of the obsessions in my life: the "Willesdan wankers whiteboard whodunnit", for example. The exceptionally onomatapoeic, "Oi Ooo Ow ooo ou Pookie Presidente". Who are "Matt's Montford minuting munchkins"? What are Emma's Entertainments and how do they relate to the faffing freshers?

Fans of my oeuvre might like to see how many of my different works they can spot implicitly from the different bits of vocab in there.

No comments: