20031118

Thanks Brent! But really, who in Britain says "block" when they mean street?

I've been listening to the new Pink album, available from an illegal download near you now, but I'm really annoyed by one thing in particular: what is the song that "Save My Life" sounds like? You can listen to a 30 second clip here, assuming you can get real player to work. The bit that sounds particularly familiar is the chorus, which begins approximately 26 seconds into the 30 second clip, but if you have any ideas.

The album also features a nice duet with Peaches. Peaches isn't exactly on top form at the moment, but I did quite like the half-hearted ambiguity of "we are all Pink inside". Talking of peaches, a few months ago I accidentally picked up a pre-release version of the second album. I was in the ever rewarding Princeton Record Exchange, when I picked up a copy of Fatherfucker without any inlay or cover for $4 in the cheap section. I assumed that it had been out for a while, and it wasn't for a few weeks that I noticed that it still hadn't been officially released. It must have been a reviewer copy or something.

Anyway, it's a pretty good record, better than most of the reviews would have you believe. I still haven't got around to getting a proper version of The Teaches of Peaches, so I can't really compare it to the first album. But it's got some shout along tracks. I quite like several of the tracks -- Shake Your Dix has a mindless inanity of the call and response genre; I Don't Give A is a loud and shouty bastardisation of Joan Jett; and I U She is very reminiscent of the first album. Anyway, give it a try and if you don't like it, listen to the Teaches of Peaches instead.

No comments: