20031124

Nothing much to say except the song that goes through my head every time Save My Life by Pink is played is of course Mongoloid by Devo. I know, I know, you'll all be kicking yourself too for not realising it earlier.
Many thanks to the Impact-font loving proprieter of feelgood:abd for pointing this out to me.

I should point out for anyone concerned that the two songs sound nothing alike to anyone else. It's mostly in the lyrical similarity and the pacing more than anything else. The relevant sections to compare and contrast are:

Pink:
so she... she disappeared
and she... she wasn't clear
and she... she didn't say were she was going

Devo:
and he... wore a hat
and he... had a job
and he... brought home the bacon so that no one knew

Separated at birth.

Also, that Tony Blair has been in the news a lot today. First, he shows up in the Simpsons, playing himself and generally cosying up to Murdoch [*] (it was very well done: I saw it this evening and thought it was a professional impersonator till I found out it was the real thing). Then he demonstrates a charming lack of competency by emailing a hairdresser a copy of his party conference speech.

What I find particularly cute about this whole story (and I use the word cute in its second or third meaning) is the (claimed) initial email reply of the hairdresser: "Thanks Tony, I've had a quick look and it seems fine. Go ahead".

[*] Conspiracy theorists might like to review their downloaded DivXs of the show: there are a few scenes featuring British newspapers. Simpsons being a Fox production after all, albeit a renegade one, they focus on the Times [NewsCorp], the Sun [NewsCorp] and, er, the Mirror [definitely not NewsCorp unless I missed something important]. The attention to detail is nice, tyopgraphy fans -- they even have the more recent black masthead design on the Mirror done right.

Oh, and lastly before I forget, a quick edition of "What we think in our heads vs. what we actually say".

Scene: supermarket checkout queue. Lady in front, eyeing my two frozen pizzas: "Well, we'll all be having pizza at your place tonight!".

In my head, I reply: "No, that would be weird, because I have no idea who you are."
Out loud, I reply: "Ha, yes, um..."

That is all, you may go now.

No comments: