20070318

Travel Log

Ugh. I just won the seating chart bingo on my flight home, as the guy with the screaming child was in the seat next to mine. Earplugs notwithstanding, I got to enjoy the brat shrieking and grabbing at me for eight hours while the sprog's mother sat a dozen rows back and slept. I probably should have suggested a swap, but my innate politeness overcame me. We landed an hour late, and sat around for a plane to vacate our bay; then some more waiting to be pulled those last few feet to the terminal. An unusually long queue for a taxi, and to cap it all the driver finishes the journey by arguing with my choice of highway exits for the fastest arrival (does he not want a tip?). But I'm home now, albeit later than planned, and with more of a hideous headache than I would like. And the one thing I was anticpating causing the most hassle -- the immigration counter -- was, for once, running with almost no delay.

Anyway, amongst the mail is some unsolicited crap suggesting that I change my car insurance. It tells me that "81.7% of all New Jersey drivers who called and switched realized savings. 17% who switched from Allstate saved, 22% who switched from Geico saved, 20% who switched from State Farm saved." Which suggests that the person writing the bumpf doesn't understand percentages and conditional probabilities, or else they really don't want my business after all.

No comments: