20050115

The calling of the Lord

I got a bit bored with having no television whatsoever, and so bought a TV aerial. I should have remembered from previous experience that (indoors) TV aerials are no use whatsoever: if you can't pick up anything with a coathanger stuck on the aerial socket, then putting a multi-way FM/VHF/UHF/EMF amplified adjustable directional aerial won't improve things to any noticeable extent. So, while I can now get ABCBSBNBCPNBSOX just about (mostly black and white and very fuzzy), it's not good enough to watch for long.

Which is good, I suppose, since I quite liked the concept of not having "live" TV, and instead relying on time-shifted de-advertised IP-TV. Now I've got it there in case I want it, but not good enough to get trapped into that cycle of flicking through a hundred channels in search of something half decent to watch. (In a similar mode, I've come up with a new trick for using the internet: do it with a laptop without the power plugged in. This gives a cut off after about an hour or so, instead of the interminable surfing in search of something, anything interesting, which can occupy hours without you realising).

Strangely, I can get one channel with perfect clarity: channel 63, WMBC-TV. When I started watching this for a few minutes, they were in christian mode, although checking the schedule, it looks like they mostly specialize in programming from India, Italy and Korea. Not quite sure why, but I rather like that mix. I might watch it occasionally. It sounds rather better than the American dross on the broadcast channels.

No comments: