20040809

Head aches

In a groggy mood, time for me to record those vital snippets of mundanity that colour our life.

I'm finally done with reviewing papers for a database conference. In the last few months, I've reviewed almost 30 papers (22 between two PCs, plus about half dozen or so for other conferences and journals). Various guides suggest that, based on a principal of amortization, one should review 2-3 papers for each one that you write. Funnily enough, though, I haven't written 10 papers in the last couple of months--I've been too busy reviewing.

Oh well, I'll be moving soon, and the general disruption that this will cause means that I plan to avoid doing any reviewing, travelling, or work in general, while this is in progress. And, because of visa restrictions, I plan to be effectively unemployed during September, even though I'll still be receiving a salary. This is the rough equivalent of spending a year dead for tax purposes.

No comments: