20060125

A new kind of spam...

I received a message today with the following title

"Subject: Request for an opprtunity to work with you"

and the first line

"I, the undersigned, am furnishing my resume along with this letter."

Spam, surely? No, actually an entirely serious and reasonable request to work with me over summer. Of course, I have no resources with which to support such a request, and so the most I can do was politely decline, and file the message somewhere deep within my hierarchy of folders. But given the antiquated state of my anti-spam system (which is me reading the messages and deciding which ones to delete, after processing through some very crude procmail filters), it could so easily have been deleted without reading it. Which would have been unfortunate, since the net effect is the same, I still like to give every genuine message to me its proper attention. Paf.

No comments: