20050710

Can't get out of bed

I used to sleep as long as I felt like, by not setting the alarm clock and just seeing when I would wake up. This was reasonably effective, but eventually I got the impression that my body was taking advantage of this arrangement, and taking more sleep without replenishing my energy levels the amount it should. Then I saw one of these new "blog" [it's short for 'logarithm to the base b'] things which had a helpful title, How to become an early riser.

Here is a summary of what the article suggests: use an alarm clock.

This is quite effective, but I have found a convenient modification that makes it work even better. I have an alarm clock radio, which I used to have tuned to the NPR station, so I would be woken with a briefing of world events. This was usually so interesting, or alternatively, so boring, that I would end up snoozing away for some time longer. Then one day, when the signal was fading, I tried to retune the radio and lost the station entirely (damn public broadcasting and their weedy transmitters!). Instead, I stumbled upon my local "family radio" station, broadcasting 'good news' 24 hours a day. Now, it turns out that the time I want to get up (8am -- let's not let this get out of control) coincides exactly with a two minute program called "Creation moments". This little daily capsule of information gives reason after reason why all those scientists are being so silly, and that basic observable facts point indubitably to the conclusion that God created the heavens and the earth, and no evolution has happened at all, ever. Thus, god exists. QED. It's great. Everyday after listening to it, I jump out of bed, energized by the rhetoric, ready to face the day. For some reason most of the 'moments' seem to be about whales, but that doesn't seem to matter much. You'd think that having being doing this for years, the CM folks would be running out of unarguable proofs of god's existence, but you'd be wrong: go to the website and you'll see archives of hundreds and hundreds of examples of how all science is wrong and scientists are blinkered, cowlish fools. Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funnily enough (as I keep saying) I used to do the same thing with the Today programme. I used to wake up too late for Thought For The Day, but I usually found that the regular presenters' pompous and often inept interviewing style got me angry enough to get me out of bed. I have yet to find a US equivalent (and the one time I listened to a right-wing talk show I found myself surprised that they made a valid philosophical point - albeit an unhelpful one).

Luckily I no longer have to be in work at a regular hour.