20050123

Travelling without moving

09.30 Leave house, catch train to Newark Broad Street
10.20 Get cab to Newark Airport
10.40 Discover flight has been cancelled. Get rebooked onto flight leaving at 15.30
12.30 Have some lunch in the airport
13.00 Told to wait by the check-in counter, since snow might cause cancellation of flight.
14.30 Told to advance to departure lounge in expectation of flight taking off.
16.00 Flight is cancelled. Go back to check-in counter. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200
16.30 Try to get monorail to station. Monorail is switched off.
17.00 Get bus to P4 parking section. See large group of other people also waiting for connecting bus to station.
17.30 Manage to beat rush and squeeze onto bus which eventually gets to the station.
18.15 Grab a much delayed Amtrak train to NYC.
18.50 Arrive NYC, to find no trains going to my home town at all tonight, because of weather.
19.10 Take Path from 32nd St to Hoboken.
20.00 Get train from Hoboken to home town.
21.15 Arrive at station, trudge through snow.
21.30 Arrive home. Home is warm. Switch on computer.

This is not really to complain, although I am rather tired, but just so I have a note of how I spent my day. It's funny to see a day basically wasted like this (since, fool that I am, I'm going to get up again tomorrow, and basically start it all over again from the beginning to see if it goes any differently). In some ways it is frustrating, as we see our precious time being dragged away from us. And in other ways, it is humbling, because as busy and important as we think we are, having a day taken away from us seems to make no difference at all in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, enough of this. I'm going to bed so I'm refreshed enough to try it again tomorrow...

No comments: